In this section
10 March 2014, 14:00 Central European Time (13:00 UK time via web-meeting and is scheduled to last 2 hours).
Digital Preservation is all about long term accessibility, re-usability and understandability of digital objects. Environments and objects with digital rights management, pose extra challenges for Digital Preservation. The APARSEN project has researched in-depth the risks, challenges and approaches for preservation of DRM-systems and explored approaches and measures to ensure longterm accessibility of objects.
As part of the project, risk assessments and surveys were held and use cases made. Come and listen to the results of this research in our webinar.
The speaker’s programme is:
- Simon Lambert, APARSEN Coordinator: “General introduction to APARSEN and how DRM fits in”
- Stefan Hein, German National Library DNB: “Introduction to Digital Rights and their representation; Introduction to DRM concepts, classification and risk analysis”
- Sabine Schrimpf, German National Library DNB: “Use case: DNB”
- Kirnn Kaur, The British Library BL: “Highlights from the survey and recommendations”
- David Giaretta, APARSEN project Manager: “Conclusions for APARSEN”
Moderator: Eefke Smit (STM)
The meeting is a web-meeting and takes place on megameeting: http://alliancepermanentaccess.megameeting.com/guest/#&id=36245
More information on APARSEN can be found here: http://aparsen.eu/
26 March 2014 to Thursday, 27 March 2014,The National Library of the Netherlands,Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5, 2595 BE The Hague
Lots of great digital preservation applications and services exist, however very few are actively maintained and thus preserved! This is a big problem! By introducing the steps to develop these and engage the support of the community, this training course looks at what can be done to improve this situation. Specifically, this training course looks at how to prepare packages for submission into the very heart of many digital environments; the operating system and directly associated “app-stores”. Attendees will be given hands-on experience with developing and maintaining packages rather than software and key differences will be discussed and evaluated. Better preservation of preservation tools, means better preservation our digital history.
- Understand the complexities of package management and distinguish between the different practices relating to both package objectives and chosen programming language.
- Be able to carry out advanced package management operations in order to critically appraise current packages and propose changes.
- Understand the importance of clearly defined versioning and licenses and the role of clear documentation and examples.
- Apply best practice techniques in order to create a simple package suitable for long term maintenance.
- Evaluate a number of options for managing package configuration and behavior relating to package installation, removal, upgrade and re-installation.
- Analyse opportunities for automating package management and releases, maintaining a clear focus on the user and not the developer.
- Critically evaluate opportunities to generalise package management to allow the easy building and maintenance of packages on multiple platforms.
- Assess the potential to apply package management techniques in your own environment.
The agenda can be seen here: http://wiki.opf-labs.org/display/SP/Agenda+-+Preserving+Your+Preservation+Tools.
Registration is now open! https://scape-preserving-tools.eventbrite.co.uk
Wednesday, 2 April 2014,The National Library of the Netherlands,Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5, 2595 BE The HagueThis event for managers with a responsibility for digital preservation in large or small organisationswill focus on the issues that theyface when implementing digital preservation in their organisation. It will explore the tension between stable business processes and the introduction of new technologies. Many managers have a responsibility for digital preservation but they are not necessarily a technical expert in the field.
- Meet peers who are managing digital preservation
- Learn about the approach of others who are embedding digital preservation in business practices
- Hear about strategic approaches and policies in the field of digital preservation
- Meet experts in digital preservation
- Find out about research and development project developments